Discovering Your True North
Recently I had the opportunity to hear Ron Frey, president of Frey Resource Group, talk about success. Ron said,
Success is discovering your purpose in life and fulfilling it.
Ron then began to talk about how to achieve success with God as our guide. He said that often, we end up chasing rabbit trails on the way to success. It is like an explorer traveling to the North Pole by using a compass. Instead of finding the real North Pole, the compass points to the magnetic North Pole, which is a significant distance from true North.
If we want to achieve true success, we need to discover God’s purpose for us. How do we do that?
- Acknowledge that God has a purpose, and I have an assignment. The Bible makes it clear that God has a purpose for us. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”
- Align your life to fulfill your God-given assignment. What drives you to achieve your vision? What is vision?
Vision: a mental picture of how things will be different in the future as a result of your effort.
This process requires us to think about several things:
- Values. What are the values you hold dear?
- Giftedness. What are skills and capabilities you have that bring you joy when they are properly used?
- Impact and Legacy. What would you like to contribute to the world to make it a better place?
The last step in defining your true North is to develop a mission statement that defines your mission and your destination.
Do you know your God-given assignment?
What can you do to align your life to fulfill your assignment?