What to do When a Crisis Hits
At certain, unexpected times in our lives we all face extreme difficulties. These are times when we feel that the world is being torn apart, when the rug is being pulled out from beneath us and nothing seems to stop the pain and suffering. Have you experienced a catastrophic loss of some kind, endured a horribly failed relationship, or grieved over a sudden life-changing event? If you have, you know what I am talking about; if not, it’s just a matter of time.
God has some words to comfort us and give us strength during these times. Following are some ways to do that.
1. DIVE into God. Draw near to God and experience the healing that he provides. Deut. 13;4, James 4:8, 1 Peter 5:6, Prov. 23:17, Prov. 18:10, Isaiah 41:9-10, Prov. 3:5-6, Psalm 143:8-10, Hebrews 7:25, and Zephaniah 3:17.
2. PRAY all the time. 1 Thess. 5:17.
3. ACT proactively. Lead a holy life despite the circumstances. Micah 6:8, Prov. 31:25-26, Hosea 12:6, Prov. 3:27, Ephesians 4:1-3, James 3:13, Deut. 23:23, 1 Thess. 5:14, Psalm 26:11, Psalm 27:14, Psalm 37, Proverbs 20:11, 2 Peter 1:5-11, and 1 Cor. 16:13-14.
4. SURROUND yourself with godly people and places. They can encourage us more than we realize. 1 Cor. 15:33, Prov. 17:17, Prov. 27:17, Heb. 3:13, Rom. 12:15, Rom. 15:1, and Acts 2:42-47.
5. TAKE care of yourself (or better yet, let God). Now is the time to renew our spirit. Isaiah 42:6, Psalm 51:10, Psalm 29:11, Isaiah 40:28-29, Psalm 28:9, Psalm 27:1, and Neh. 8:10.
6. LOOK for God’s hand in your experiences. Trust God in this. He does have a plan for us! Rom. 8:28.
Remember 1 Cor. 10:13 and 2 Cor. 4:8-10.
What else can we do in a crisis?