Leadership Lessons of Steve Jobs
The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation by Jay Elliott was released today. The book chronicles the leadership lessons Jay learned from Steve Jobs by working alongside Steve at Apple. The author gives the following leadership lessons learned from Steve:
- Schedule three or four product-focused retreats per year
- Always look for specifics. Don’t accept generalities.
- Reject smoke-blowers and incompetence.
- Frequently pause and celebrate.
- Let best ideas rather than organizational structure control meetings.
- Create Stimulating offices that include social gathering places.
- Hold weekly product review meetings.
As you can see, Steve certainly takes a hands on approach to leadership.
Which of these functions can you incorporate into your leadership style?