25 Ways to Have a “Famtastic” Summer
Below is an article I wrote for the Northwest Marriage blog. You may want to check out the Northwest Marriage Institute.
Summer is here! In the northwest, where I live, that means it stops raining for a little while and it is actually fun to be outside. With kids out of school, summer provides the perfect opportunity to help them spend less time in their rooms or in front of the television. It is also a great time to reconnect with our kids outside of homework or school functions.
Being outside does not have to be expensive. Here are 25 things families can do that are low-cost or free.
1. Help them set up a lemonade stand
2. Make play-doh (lots of online recipes)
3. Have a water balloon fight
4. Paint pictures of the outdoors
5. Have a watermelon spitting contest
6. Wash the car together
7. Draw pictures on the driveway with sidewalk chalk
8. Fly a kite
9. Go hiking
10. Volunteer in the community
11. Ride the city bus together
12. Have a picnic at a park or other scenic area
13. Go camping
14. Go fishing
15. Go to a fireworks show
16. Take a roadtrip to someplace new
17. Plant a garden
18. Make homemade ice cream
19. Host a barbeque party
20. Go swimming at the local pool or water hole
21. Run through the sprinkler
22. Go to a local farmer’s market
23. Play backyard games like badminton or croquet
24. Make a sandcastle
25. Go to a museum
The important thing is to spend time with your kids. Take lots of pictures. And, at the end of the summer, make a family photo album together.